Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bottle Rocket (1996)

I have seen a few Wes Anderson films (The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Fantastic Mr. Fox) and they did not have much effect on me at the time. The day has finally come where I can appreciate these movies for the greatness that they are, and all it took was the viewing of Anderson's film titled Bottle Rocket. I can't really explain the way that I regard his movies now, but I can assure you that I find them to be wonderful.

Bottle Rocket is Wes Anderson's first movie, as well as actors Luke and Owen Wilson, and I must say, as a first for these three boys, it was a very well made movie. I never would have guessed that it was the Wilson brothers' first roles because of their great acting. Bottle Rocket is about three guys who are all crazy in one way or another, and what happens when they plan to commit crimes with a lack of resources. This may sound bland, but this is the basic storyline of the movie; there is much more involved that makes this movie so enjoyable.

The bright and minimalistic style of cinematography is something that Anderson would keep using throughout his film career; The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic are prime examples of this. It's very nice to see movies with well-planned cinematography, which is something I admired of Anderson before realizing the greatness of his directorial skills. I give this movie a 9.0 for it's great cast, great visuals, and great script. It's a shame that it bombed at the box office when it was released.

No comments:

Post a Comment