Sunday, November 1, 2009

Death Proof

Originally, this movie was released in theatres with Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror, entitled Grindhouse, but unfortunately, it was released separately when it came to DVD. Luckily, I was able to witness this film in theatres, which was a great moment for me. Firstly, I got to feel the real grind house experience from the 70's, and secondly, it was my first Quentin Tarantino film I saw on the big screen. This was worth while on its own for me, being the huge Tarantino fan that I am. Last Thursday was the third time I have seen Death Proof: once in the theatres, and twice on DVD.

What makes me mad about the people that don't appreciate the classic cinema behind Quentin Tarantino (QT)'s movies is that they go into it just seeking out action. I have heard comments many times, bashing his movies because there is, and I quote, "lots of talking." If you came to a QT movie, you should expect good dialogue, and nothing less. Like his other movies, Death Proof has "lots of talking" in it, which I think makes it the worthwhile film that it is.

Death Proof is about a has-been stuntman from the 70's/80's who preys only on women. His weapon of choice: his death proof car. This movie is QT's homage to grind house/exploitation/slasher movies from the 1970's. Seeing quite a few of those, I can easily say he did a very good job. Although this is not his not his greatest film he has made, it is definitely worth your while to watch it.

Rating: 8.9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment