Friday, October 30, 2009

Trainspotting

"Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a starter home. Choose dental insurance, leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose your future. But why would anyone want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?"

I first viewed this amazing film a few weeks before starting this blog, so unfortunately I could not have reviewed it until watching it again, which I did, just recently. The previous paragraph is basically a sum up of the opening and closing quotes, which I think are perfectly used in their places in the movie. The opening quote sets up the mood for this glorious film, and the ending one perfectly concludes it. Between these two points in the movie is one of the greatest hour-and-a-halfs I have witnessed in film.

Despite the dark and morbid subject matter, Trainspotting does have many moments of humour that make me laugh out loud. Combined with spots of drama, this movie displays a great combination of cinema that I adore. Ewen McGregor does a brilliant job as narrator Mark Renton: a 25 year old heroin addict who lives with a few other junkies, including Sick Boy and Spud, in his run down flat in the impoverished part of Edinburgh. His non-junky friends, who seem to be the "normal" ones in society include the psychopathic Begbie, and Tommy, the one who has his life together. Throughout this film we see life through the eyes of these heroin addicts and how they cope unsuccesfully with life.

Danny Boyle's direction in this movie was superb: some of the best themes of cinema I have seen. He also uses great metaphors in this movie, such as Renton diving down a toilet just to retrieve two suppositories; this scene shows how far he will go to get one last hit before he "kicks his addiction." (Other Danny Boyle films include Slumdog Millionaire and 28 Days Later).

After my second viewing of Trainspotting, it occured to me that this is my favourite movie, beating out the long running 2001: A Space Odyssey. My rating for this glorious movie is 9.8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment