Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Clockwork Orange

I have seen this movie at least 3 times, but I have never seen it all the way through. Something always stops me, such as: I have fallen asleep (out of tiredness, not boredom), the video loader stopped working, and even a power outage. Although this did not make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things, it was nice to finally see it in its entirety. As "disturbing" as this movie may be, it is very well done and has a good message about people's views of goodness in others. A Clockwork Orange, directed by Stanley Kubrick, is about a group of teenagers set in the future who hold no regard for anyone, and often perform acts of violence and rape. When Alex is arrested, a new treatment to "cure" him is available, raising controversy in the judicial system and in the government. I find the language in this movie (especially in the book) very interesting; it combines Russian, English, and slang.

Stanley Kubrick is one of my favorite directors, being tied for first place with Quentin Tarantino. All of his movies that I have seen (from Dr. Stranglove and on) are masterpieces, and I encourage anyone reading this to watch as many of his movies as you can. A Clockwork Orange is not my favorite film by him, but it is still an amazing movie. The filming style is so clever that it makes you feel nauseous. It is not because it is so-bad-its-sickening, but because Kubrick wanted the audience to relate to Alex in the movie, which is a great cinematographic skill to posess.

Rating: 9.0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment